Welcome to the website of the Societas Iranologica Europaea (S.I.E.), an international academic society in the field of Iranian Studies with members from European and non-European countries. The S.I.E. was founded in 1983 in Rome with the support of the European Science Foundation and the Istituto Italiano per il Medio ed Estremo Oriente (later Istituto Italiano per l’Africa e l’Oriente) on the occasion of the First European Colloquium of Iranology. The aim of the S.I.E. is to promote, develop and support Ancient, Middle and Modern Iranian Studies in all subject areas of the field, including philology, linguistics, literature, history, religions, art, archaeology, philosophy, ethnology, geography, human sciences, jurisprudence.
This website provides information on the life and history of our Association (board and staff members, statutes, membership), its regular activities (conferences and other scientific meetings), vacant positions in Iranian Studies and publications of the S.I.E.
Members of the S.I.E. and also other colleagues working in the Iranian Studies may send information to be published on the website of the S.I.E. to the Secretary.
Professor Alberto Cantera
President of the S.I.E.
- In Memoriam Professor Philippe Gignoux (01.03.1931-24.09.2023)It is with profound sorrow that we announce the passing of Professor Philippe Gignoux (01.03.1931-24.09.2023). He was one of the founding figures of Societas Iranologica Europaea, its first Vice-President (1983-1987), and afterwards the President (1987-1991). He counted among those who made possible the publication of a first Guide to Iranian Studies in Europe, part one:… Read more: In Memoriam Professor Philippe Gignoux (01.03.1931-24.09.2023)
- ECIS 10 at Leiden Conference ProgramThe final conference program for ECIS 10 is now online and available as digital booklet. We wish all participants a fascinating conference in Leiden! Conference Booklet: https://www.universiteitleiden.nl/binaries/content/assets/geesteswetenschappen/lias/pdfs/ecis-programme-digital.pdf
- In Memory of Professor J.T.P. de BruinOn Monday 23 January 2023 J.T.P. (Hans) de Bruijn passed away at the age of 91. Until 1995 he held the Chair of New Persian Language and Culture at Leiden University. See the obituary by Gabrielle van den Berg: In Memoriam J.T.P. de Bruijn (1931-2023)
- Call for Applications for the Fifth Round of the SIE Award in Iranian Studies (2023)Award for a European Ph.D. Thesis in Iranian Studies. With the European Award for Iranian Studies the Societas Iranologica Europaea recognizes outstanding theses in any field of Iranian Studies defended at European universities. The award is given every four years. Details under Thesis Award!
- Tenth European Conference of Iranian StudiesECIS 10 – 2023 in Leiden The European Conference of Iranian Studies (ECIS) is one of Europe’s largest conferences in Iranian Studies. It is held every four years and organized by the Societas Iranologica Europaea (SIE). The tenth edition of the conference ECIS 10 will be hosted by Leiden University in the Netherlands and will… Read more: Tenth European Conference of Iranian Studies